While you may take them for granted on a day-to-day basis, any damage to or pain in your hands can quickly bring into focus just how important they are. Finding treatment and relief for ailments of the hand often requires finding a specialist, such as Dr. Charles Polsen at the Clear Lake Hand Center.
[viewmedica description=”About Surgery of the Hand” id=”A_cd12c8b1″ client=”2649″]
A highly qualified and experienced hand surgeon in the Houston area, Dr. Polsen is capable of treating a wide variety of hand ailments. Some of those hand ailments include the following:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Perhaps the most well known hand ailment today, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is inflammation and repetitive motions. This can be an incredibly painful and debilitating condition. However, there are many treatments for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, including surgery.
- Fractures of the Hand: With so many bones in the hands and wrists, it’s not surprising that some patients find themselves with fractures or breaks of those bones. The treatment for these fractures will depend on their severity, but prompt treatment will help ensure you get the best possible results.
- Amputation: If, for whatever reason, any of your fingers become amputated from your hand, you should seek immediate emergency treatment. In many cases, there are surgical techniques and procedures that can help you retain as much of your hand and mobility as possible.
- Tendon or Nerve Damage: In certain cases, you can cause damage to your hand without necessarily knowing it. This can happen while chopping onions or working on your car. Any cut or laceration should be treated by a medical professional to ensure there is no unseen damage.
- Dupuytren’s Disease: This hand ailment is caused by the formation of knots of tissue that form under the skin. These knots can interfere with the normal operation of your hand, causing your hand to contract abnormally. The primary form of treatment is surgery.
- Wrist Pain: Because the wrist itself is a rather complex mechanism, pain of the wrist can be caused by a wide variety of issues. Pain of the wrist can be quite debilitating, and must be addressed by a highly qualified hand surgeon.
- De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis: Much like the pain and discomfort of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is caused by inflamed nerve and tendons, so too is the pain caused by De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis—only the tendons are in the wrist, causing pain along the hand and in the pinky and ring fingers.
- Ganglion Cyst: These growths on the hand are generally harmless, though they can be unsightly. There are several ways to remove them; sometimes, a needle can be used to draw out liquid, while in other instances surgery may be required.
- Trigger Finger: This hand ailment mostly affects the mobility of the first two fingers, causing them to become locked in a flexed position. The treatment usually involves surgery.
- Tumors: In most cases, growths on the hand will likely be Ganglion Cysts of some kind. However, when they are not such cysts, medical testing will be required to determine the nature of the tumors.
- Cubital Tunnel Syndrome: The nerve in your “funny bone” area near your elbow is quite sensitive to certain pressures, and this can cause problems in the hand. Treating Cubital Tunnel Syndrome often requires the expertise of a medical professional and a hand surgeon.
- Nail Bed Repair: Sometimes, the area of tissue on which your nails rest becomes problematic. Repairing problems often requires specialized techniques and sometimes needs surgery.
- Warts: While in most cases, warts will go away on their own, this manifestation of the human papillomavirus can often be unsightly. Treatments range from freezing of the wart to surgical removal with a scalpel.
Ensuring You Get the Best Care Possible
The hand is an incredibly complex component of the human body. There are numerous bones, tendons, muscles and nerves, all working together to give you the dexterity to navigate your daily life. You will likely need to maintain the health of your hands in order to maintain your livelihood. That’s why it’s important to make sure you get your hands the best possible care when problems come up.
As an experienced, highly-qualified hand surgeon, Dr. Charles Polsen has had a great deal of success treating hand ailments in the Clear Lake, TX, and Houston areas. If you are having trouble with your hands, please contact Dr. Polsen right away to schedule a consultation at the Clear Lake Hand Center.